« Home | Self Destruction » | Misty, watercolored » | I Want a New Job » | It's Time To Name This Blog » | Okay...I give up. » | news from the darker corners of That College » | By the way... » | Advertising » | Worst holiday song....ever. » | Question Reguiring a Great Deal of Thought. » 

Thursday, December 08, 2005 

When you think of John Lennon...

What do you think of?
Entry By Shaw Israel Izikson

I think of this thing on NPR about him I heard awhile ago. I remember him saying "the 70s were a drag, but maybe the 80s will be good"
not really......

of course that reminds me of the Dennis Hopper line from the hit movie "Flashback": "once we get out of the 80s, the 90s will make the 60s look like the 50s." of course that didn't happen. Just like this band called Wolfsbane was supposed to be the next Led Zeppelin, but that never happened.

I think in a sense, though, it did happen. If you talk to someone born in the mid-80s instead of the mid-70s, the 60s are ancient history, the 70s are the last time anything important happened, and the 80s are embarrassing kitsch. Which pretty much exactly parallels how I saw the 50s, 60s, and 70s when I was growing up.

The dorkier kids listen to the Nirvana now -- but they're viewed the same way that we looked at kids who listened to Led Zeppelin. They were right, of course -- but that's distinctly beside the point when you're 16.

I agree with the good Sister. Seems to me, the issue here is that most folks idealize the hazily-understood decade they just missed, project their own adolescent angst onto whatever decade they actually consider to contain/embody their own formative years, and feel about the decade OF their 20s the way they feel about their own experience then, ad infinitum.

Componded, here, is the issue that for many, adolescence is a cycle, and -- according to a doctor quoted in Newsweek this week, for example -- that the 18-28 years are now percieved as a second adolescence (Jerry Levy used to call it "the indentured years," which is, I think, the same thing seen from the socio/workplace perspective).

Also, that dork-adolescents often turn to the nostalgia of previous years presented culturally as like-their-self-image in order to both have a solid ground for development (even though it isn't that of their peers) and be able to do so in such a way which is not only clear but unique and thus rewards geekitude is quite right, Sis.

That said: the dorkier/geekier of my middle school students listen to Led Zeppelin, not Nirvana. The ones who are countercool (not neorap or shiny adolescentpop) listen to Green Day, which -- notably -- is era-same as Nirvana, on one level. The wannabes listen to Guster and the Grateful Dead. Not sure what to think of all THAT, since I -- at 34 -- listen to all of those, but see Led Zep as a bit too old-school forme, and always have.

Then again, in middle school I was a pastel-wearing wanna be who listened to U2 and Depeche Mode (and New Order, the Sugarcubes, and Billy Joel, etc.) In high school I listened to Evan Dando, Juliana Hatfield, The Lemonheads, Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul -- many of whom are also "back" in one way or another.

Not sure what to make of THAT. Perhaps we'd need to bring in Dave Williamson if we wanted to make more sense of it.

Oh, right: the topic.

I think John Lennon is...eh. A few gems, a lot of too unfinished/unpolished in his solo era. I liked his beatleswork better.

I also am a big fan of the art movement of which Ono is a part. Ever seen her chess set with all white pieces both sides? Great statement.

when I think of John Lennon I also think about George Harrison, and how everything inevitably passes, one way or another.

n-e ways, as I was saying, I don't think the 90s compared to the 60s. The closest we got was Lollapalooza in the early 90s, and that wasn't really very close. Monica Lewinsky, the Tickle Me Elmo, The Spice Girls, Kurt Cobain, OJ Simpson's trials and what have you don't really parallel much of what happened in the 60s.

but with Iraq happening, there's a similar war going on, as there was then, although I cannot say that means we'll have another decade like the 60s...........not that I'm whining, I just try not to say what will happen in the future because I can't predict the future.

But what do we mean when we talk about the sixties? Creativity and artistic revival? Political activism? Boomer-youth nostalgia?

When I think of John Lennon I think of pudding. Something about his cheeks.

Can we have our ball back?

Random jumble of the day:

Lennon reminds me of people who latch onto the past as if times were better, simpler. I agree with the sociological analysis but I'd venture it's a generalization. Folks who do this tend to become stuck in development and repeat themselves.

Post a Comment